Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Well, I'm finally joining the blog-o-sphere. I've been inspired by my daughters and my sisters and when I told my daughter Katie about my "mis-hap" from yesterday, she said it would make a great first post on my blog. (she's been after me to get blogging and debit-carding for quite some time now!) So, I figured if I had a good place to start, I would get going, at least with the blogging.

Which brings me to yesterday...
many of you know we have been remodeling our basement, which in turn makes for a mess in the entire house. The cans in my food pantry were collecting a layer of dust and I had noticed about 10 half eaten bags of miscellaneous chips/pretzels/fritos that no one would eat, I decided it was that time again. Time to clean the pantry. A dreaded job, but one that is very rewarding in the end. As I was going through the things on one shelf, I came across a large box of instant mashed potatoes. It had been opened for a long time, maybe even years. There was about one cup of flakes left in the bottom of the box. I thought I would just dump the old flakes and, being the responsible recycler that I am, I would break down the box and put it in the recycle bin. The problem came when I was trying to decide where to dump the flakes. In the wastebasket or in the garbage disposal. Well, let me tell you, I made the wrong choice. I dumped them in the disposal, and as you can imagine, when I ran the water to wash them down, they expanded at least 10 fold and then clogged up my entire kitchen drain system. When I tried to drain the water, I had watered down mashed potatoes all over the kitchen floor and all over my wool kitchen rug. What a mess! I panicked because we had just repaired and painted the ceiling in the basement below from a previous leak in the kitchen. Well, to make a long story short, my brother came to fix the problem and it was more than his equipment could handle. I needed the "big" machine! A different service man came from Godwin and was finally able to clear up the problem and I had a mess to clean up. My minimal task of cleaning the pantry, became a day long mess! So,take it from me, when in doubt, throw it out in the garbage pail, not the garbage disposal.

Anyway, this is my first blog post. I did it!! Aren't you proud? Maybe someday I'll even use a debit card!

11 comments:

Michelle said...

I am SO proud of you! (except maybe not for the mashed potato incident)
:)

I look forward to more of your thoughts, stories and photos!

You better add buying a Mac to your list of new things to do!

Love ya!

Katie said...

FINALLY!!!! I only hepled you set it up three months ago - he he

Now if only we could work on the debit card thing...yea right.

And I agree with michelle about the mac too - someday!

Anonymous said...

You crack me up!

I am happy I get to read another blog. Someday when I get a computer.....I too will join the blogging world.

Anonymous said...

oh by the way......that was from me....

Sara

Marva's "Marvalous" Memories said...

Den - yes, I am very proud of you! Isn't it fun? But, you took my title - "Eight is Enough". Oh, well . . . Keep up the good work - I'll be checking up on you from Hong Kong. Love ya! Marv

joan b. said...

Hi, Denise - Welcome to the blot-s-sphere! Loved your story about the mashed potatoes - sounds like something I'd do.
Enjoyed lunch today - you didn't mention the potato thing ;)
Love!

Triplet Mom said...

I had two leaky sinks this week! I had pools of water in my cabinets, and had to clean them up while dealing with the girls. Faulty plumbing puts me in a bad mood. I will stay away from potato flakes now! Thanks for the life lesson!

Beckie said...

Denise,
Nice blog!
Rick didn't mind helping you out...oh and neither did I!
Beckie

Amy said...

hey...thanks for telling me you had a blog started. love and miss you-

Anonymous said...

part of blogging is that you have to blog once in a while!!

Anonymous said...

You should talk Danno